Wednesday, May 10, 2017

More Dye Experiments

A question from muskaan on this earlier post got me thinking. I decided to try dyeing peach again and then overdye the uneven one in a darker shade.


It came out much better.  And the darker shade looks fine too:
So, notes to self, here's what I did:
1. Mix up dye powder, dishwashing liquid and water in a big bucket - any constriction will cause the dyeing to be uneven.
2. Add the wool dry. (Last time I washed the wool and put it into the dye bath wet.)
3. Leave to soak for 15 minutes.
4. Lift up the wool and add a cupful of vinegar to the dye bath.
5. Leave for another 15 minutes.
6. Put into cold oven and set it to 70 degrees C.
7. After 10 minutes, adjust to 110 degrees C.
8. After 15 minutes, turn yarn over.
9. Leave for another 15 minutes, then turn oven off and leave for another 15 minutes.
10. Open oven door and leave wool to cool.
11. Rinse and hang up to dry.

4 comments:

  1. Yay, now I can elevate myself to dye consultant LOL
    The darker shade is gorgeous !!!
    You make the dyeing process look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Muskaan. I admire anyone who does hand dyeing as I know it is laborious and messy work. You make it sound so simple and easy. I also admire your color choices and how you put them together. Waiting with anticipation on the results of your project.

    ReplyDelete