Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Microwave Dyeing


I acquired a microwave oven last week, using my supermarket 'loyalty points'. So I thought I'd use it today to dye two skeins of wool orange. I soaked the skeins in water and mild soap, then soaked them in water with dye and vinegar added before putting them into an oven bag and into the microwave. I didn't want to bring them to full temperature too quickly, so I put it on medium power for two minutes, medium high for two minutes and then high power for one minute. I let it cool for 15 minutes before rinsing. It's not completely even, which I'm not worried about, but does show that I need to refine my method. It is colourfast, there was no residue at all in the rinse water.

8 comments:

  1. Your versatility knows no bounds :-)

    I remember reading about microwave dyeing & shared the tut link with Usha when she was so inspired by you & Maria dyeing threads .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting... I've never heard of dying fiber in a microwave. I'm not into dying, so I don't think I'll be trying it any time soon, but it's nice to be informed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very pretty and a great FYI to keep in the memory bank, I dry flowers in the microwave and heat up rice socks for the neck pain. So far that is the unusual things I do with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your many accomplishments and energy amaze me. I so enjoy seeing and admire what you do an make. My friend is going to South Africa to hunt soon. She is a tatter, weaver, spinner, knitter, hunter,gardener and more. I think the two of you could enjoy being neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely colour, looks really even, well done, and interesting it only took a few mins
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's an interesting use for the microwave. It's great it was colourfast, and I like the variegations.

    ReplyDelete