Thursday, March 5, 2015

Skirting The Issue

My neighbour Dorie came over for coffee the other day and brought me a length of black fabric. She bought it to make trousers for herself, but said she's never going to get around to the task, so she'd rather give the fabric to me. I made a skirt with it this morning. It has a lovely weight and drape. But where black trousers would be elegant, a black skirt is simply boring. I have worked Wanda's Queen's Crown Edging in a bold three ply Anchor Freccia to brighten the skirt up. Sewing it to the skirt will take a while. I want to do it thoroughly so that I will be able to put the skirt in the washing machine without it getting distorted.

11 comments:

  1. That's quite an undertaking! That edging looks fabulous against the black.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be a lot of work to sew the edging on - it's very effective! I suppose you couldn't machine it onto the skirt with matching thread? - as you would do with a purchased trim?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly. But I want to sew down every picot and make sure it's really secure without being distorted, so I think handsewing is the way to go. It'll be fine once I get a rhythm going!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous ! Dying to see it sewn on ....
    I prefer this way of laying the lace than it hanging down from the hem of the fabric. In the latter case, the real beauty of the edging/lace tends to get lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really looks nice, but I do know sewing tatting down to thick fabric, can be a bit of a workout, it helps to rub the needle through your hair before poking into fabric. The fine oil from hair helps. I know it sounds weird :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I don't know that one.

      Delete
    2. My grandmother always did this and had us do it, too. It really can make a difference.

      Delete
  5. Black needs a bit of colour and this shirt is going to look lovely, love the edging
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so clever, the tatting will make a beautiful edge to your skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That edging really looks great on that skirt. I can imagine this is going to take a while to sew down but be well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete