Friday, August 16, 2013

Square Rings

 Square rings? It's a rather odd technique, where you tat a ring using two shuttles at once, except where the picots are. Close the ring and then tug on the 'inside' ring and it turns into a square. It works with chains, too. There's a video on Karen Cabrera's blog and written instructions on Dreams of Lace by Christine Eichler.

 I have two shuttles that are easy to hold together. The problem I have is that the two threads twist around each other on each stitch. I have to unravel them at each picot point, where I'm going to tat with just one shuttle. Can anyone give me any clues how to avoid that twisting?

I didn't make a second earring. I need more practice before I try to create something useful.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting... would a double bobbin shuttle work instead of using two shuttles? I have one that I've never used! Karen has great videos, so I'll be sure to check this out. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably would. Not sure exactly how the double bobbin shuttle works, can you sometimes work with just the one thread?

      Delete
  2. I have seen this before, and have never tried it. So I going to watch video and get back with you on this one. I do think its absolutely beautiful. And forgot about this style till you posted it. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked at the written instructions she has put some glue or something and stuck the shuttles together, therefore the thread should not get in a tangle. Well that's what is looks like to me.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that's not the answer. My shuttles are 'stuck together', but each stitch the threads wind around each other.

      Delete