Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Hosier to Milliner


Actually, my dictionary says that a hosier is someone who deals in socks and underwear, not someone who makes them, but anyway, I have gone from making socks to making hats. The other day a neighbour was complaining that he can't buy the sort of hat that he wants. My husband volunteered my services to make him one! On Sunday Les gave me a sample, so yesterday I set off to make his perfect hat. He said that his sample was too small, so I measured it against my usual pattern and found that the pattern was a little bigger. Good. The crown depth was the same. Good. The brim of his hat was narrower than mine, so I trimmed 2cm off the outside of the brim pattern. I also used a less stiff interfacing for the brim than I normally use, and added lines of  top stitching. Les tried the hat on, it fits and he will wear it. Job done.

2 comments:

  1. Great Hat. Home made hats are the best!

    I had one custom made for me once but I apparently gave the wrong head measurement, because when it came it was to small. Then I tired to make one b/c I wanted to attach tatting to it, but failed miserably. You inspire me, maybe I need to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, try again! Inspiring someone else is the best I can hope for, so thanks. This hat pattern is great for showing off tatting.

    ReplyDelete