Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Planning The Next Blanket


The next blanket is for my youngest grandchild, Annika. I've seen several examples on Pinterest of blankets made with asymmetrical granny squares. I'm not sure about the terminology: they seem to be called mitred squares, but mitred squares also refers to another sort of square where decreases are made in the middle, similar to a mitred corner in sewing. I found this example by marrietta.ru which has a chart and, importantly for me, a photo showing the different stages of making the square. It took me a few goes, using scraps, to get a square that looked right - it's not as simple as it seems! I think that a blanket will look best if I use the same colours throughout, rather than my usual practice of using an array of colours. So I deconstructed the square, wound the yarn onto my niddy noddy and worked out how much of each colour I'll need to make 117 squares, the number I used for the flower garden blanket. Right. So now I have a lot of spinning ahead of me before I can start crocheting the blanket.

Monday, April 24, 2017

Round 10


Round 10 is done. Each repeat took me 15 minutes. There are 24 repeats, so that's 6 hours for the round. Plus, of course, time for filling shuttles with thread and the odd untatting episode when I joined a ring to the wrong place. The diameter now is 38 cm/15 inches.

Friday, April 21, 2017

Round Nine

Right, I've finished round 9. Round 10 has already been released, so I'm a bit behind. I've sketched out round 10 before it disappears too far down Renata's blog page!

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Slowly

Tatting the Renulek doily doesn't mesh well with baking bread and cleaning kitchen cupboards! But I'll get there eventually.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Half Way

I'm half way through round 9.

This doily has a home to go to, so I'm happy about that. My neighbour Dorie is going to ask her husband to make a wooden frame for it so that she can hang it on her wall.

Monday, April 17, 2017

(Waist)Coat of Many Colours


I've finished my waistcoat. I tried to take a selfie, but that didn't really work, so I took a photo in a mirror. In retrospect, I should've made the half circles on the front the same colour on each side so that together they made a whole circle. Ah well, that's a minor point, overall I'm very happy with it.

To recap, the motif pattern is Atty's Little Dots pattern, which is here . For putting them together to make a waistcoat, I take full responsibility. It was a great way to use up short bits of handspun wool left over from crocheting blankets. It'll be warm and should brighten any Winter day!

Friday, April 14, 2017

Working on Round 9

Round 9 looks quite tricky, so I used thread left on the shuttles to tat a practice repeat. That enabled me to check my scribbled diagram as well as work out where to swap shuttles and what size the picots should be. I've used too long a picot for the 'quad', it looks ugly, so I know to watch out for that.
I've made a start: